Managing Cybersecurity Risk in the Digital Age – Workshop
The cyber-attacks in the past used to focus on financial gains only, but recently the hackers have evolved to include political, social and military victims and neglecting all the known boundaries. Cyber criminals are anticipated to depend more on ransomware as means of their attacks, which in turn urges the need of not only having a reliable secure system, but being capable of adapting an agile strategy focusing on detection, response and correction. It is discerning how large companies, such as Equifax, became victims of hackers and what that means for the customers and the company.
This workshop is designed for senior executives of the financial services industry to have a snapshot overview of key cybersecurity laws in various important Asian countries as well as the key lessons to be learned from those organisations which suffered cyber-attacks recently. We will also discuss why cyber related issues should be placed at the top most management agenda of the companies, some of the best practices and strategy policies to be made at the top level to counter and mitigate cyber-security threats.
The workshop will also address industries’ concerns in having to comply with national cybersecurity laws, often implemented with draconian powers to their cybersecurity agencies on discovery of data, intrusive remedial actions and too often heavy penalties for non-compliance.
MEET OUR WORKSHOP LEADER
CEO, Asia Law Exchange
Zaid Hamzah is a technology lawyer, strategic counsel and cybersecurity specialist. He has over 20 years of professional experience in the ICT and cybersecurity sectors and has taught professionals in the area of cybersecurity law, regulations and GRC (governance, risk and compliance). Author of 9 books including E-Security Law & Strategy (LexisNexis), he is currently an Adjunct Senior Fellow at the S Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, where he teaches cybersecurity law and cyber-terrorism. Zaid has served as director at Microsoft, Chief Legal Officer at Telekom Malaysia and Senior Legal Adviser to Singtel’s Joint Venture with Sony Pictures and Warner Brothers. When he served as Senior Counsel at a New York Stock Exchange-listed company, he advised the company on cybersecurity legal and compliance matters including corporate and operational compliance in cybersecurity as well as data asset protection. Zaid has in depth experience in designing policies and standard operating procedures in the area of cybersecurity compliance and risk management and focuses on both strategic as well as operational cybersecurity risk management for both C-Suite as well as frontline professionals. He has advised the Malaysian government (then called NISER and now Cyber Security Malaysia) in the area of digital evidence management and has been involved in the preparation of a manual on digital evidence management. He has prepared the online course for the Institute of Systems Science, National University of Singapore relating to the legal, investigation and ethical components for the CISSP examination (Certified Information Systems Security Professionals).
Managing Cybersecurity Risk in the Digital Age – Workshop
Wednesday, 29th May 2019
08:00 – 09:00
Registration & Morning Networking
09:00 – 10:30
STRATEGIC CONCERNS: Why management need to worry about cybersecurity breaches in the companies and businesses.
- How can I be effective in managing risk at the strategic level in the context of legal and regulatory language?
- How do I optimise resources to manage legal & regulatory compliance on a cross border basis?
- How do I manage the 3 levels of compliance in an integrated and holistic manner:
- The local cybersecurity and compliance laws.
- Internal corporate compliance & governance requirements.
- Operational Compliance requirements and standards.
The session will also discuss briefly about the key cybersecurity threats and how do they hurt businesses.
10:30 – 11:00
11:00 – 11:30
Case Study: The Singapore Smart Nation Approach: Brief synopsis on the Cybersecurity Laws formulated in the Republic of Singapore effective August 2018.
- Strengthening the Protection of Critical information Infrastructure against cyber attacks
- Authorise Cyber Security Agencies and respond to cybersecurity threats and incidents.
- Establish a framework for sharing cybersecurity information.
Establish a light touch licensing framework for cybersecurity service providers.
11:30 – 12:30
Approach of Emerging Asian Powers: We will have a brief synopsis on the Cybersecurity Laws formulated in two key ASEAN countries as well as the other two emerging powers for compliance and governance purposes:
12:30 – 13:30
13:30 – 14:30
Industry’s Concerns: How Cybersecurity Laws affect providers of financial services? What are the industries’ concerns on an all-powerful and highly intrusive Cybersecurity Agencies empowered to deal with Cybersecurity Data Breach?
- Banks and financial institutions
- Security and Asset management Companies
- Fintech and start-ups
- Insurance companies
- Regulators and policy makers
14:30 – 15:00
Networking Tea Break
15:00 – 16:00
Implementation Challenges: What are the challenges to management in implementing a robust and effective Cybersecurity Compliance, Governance and Risk framework within the corporate institutions?
- E-security – Policy and management strategy
- Role of Management and leadership
- Elements of an effective cybersecurity compliance, governance and risk program
16:00 – 17:00
CASE FOCUS: The session will discuss in detail three of the recent incidents involving data breach issues within the institutions and what can we learn from these
- Singhealth data Breach – 1.5 million non-medical data (0.16 million medical records)
- Marriot International – 500 million customers
- Equifax Inc : 143 million US accounts and 400,000 UK’s
End of workshop
Who will attend?
The programme is designed for decision makers and senior professionals from the following areas of specialty:
- Chairmen, CEOs, board members, senior management of leading tradition financial institutions, including banks, insurance companies, asset management and securities houses
- Founders, CEOs and leaders in new age financial institutions including peer-to-peer lending and investing and disruptors in blockchain, AI and blockchain who are potentially transforming the industry and want to be part of the bigger conversation
- Founders, CEOs and leaders in financial technology start ups and service providers
- Senior managers responsible for implementing digital and transformational projects in their institutions
- Regulators, government officials and policy makers who want to be part of the conversation
Future of Finance Summit 2019
Full access to the Future of Finance Summit Workshops, Conferences and exhibition area (29-31 May 2019)*
EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT (BEFORE 15 FEB 2019)
FULL PRICE (AFTER 15 FEB 2019)
Sponsorship & Exhibition
The Future of Finance Summit 2018 is a globally acknowledged annual gathering that brings together a wide range of players who shape the future of the financial services industry.
The Future of Finance Summit will feature a host of amazing, unique and out-of-box speakers and panellists who will help us break through our thinking on the transformations that are happening globally.